Tuesday, October 02, 2007

consistency

There's so much work that I have to do, and I've realized that one of my personal failings is not necessarily the understanding of hard stuff. Rather, it's getting the easy stuff even started.

It's a main point of Better: performance isn't about the shiny tools: it is more about the "gruntwork". It's the mundane task of being consistent, of staying on target, with which I struggle and flounder about like a floppy fish. My failure to do better isn't for lack of technical tools or skills: what I'm missing is consistency. Adults should have the firmness of mind to do something even if there are no immediate results. But my mind is still mushy and squishy. It has the consistency of oatmeal.

1 comment:

piotrm said...

Too much greedy and not enough hill-climbing leads one to getting stuck in a ditch (perhaps an appropriate assessment of the usual situation). Maybe related (or maybe not) is the tendency to extremes and never a level effort across all of one's undertakings. That is something I myself have issues with, which leads to lack of consistency very promptly.

On the other hand, I can only guess the meaning of your post but my interpretation is the only one I can issue at this time.